Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:06:09 -0600
From: Vincent Danen <vdanen@...hat.com>
To: laurent Montel <montel@....org>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
        Marc Deslauriers <marc.deslauriers@...onical.com>,
        coley@...us.mitre.org, security@...ntu.com, faure@....org
Subject: Re: CVE Request: KDE Pim

* [2012-07-17 10:18:06 +0200] laurent Montel wrote:

>Le lundi 16 juillet 2012 11:47:59 Vincent Danen a écrit :
>> * [2012-07-13 10:41:33 -0600] Kurt Seifried wrote:

>> >This seems like a security hardening issue to me, but I'm not a KDE
>> >person so did kdepim advertise itself as not executing JavaScript/etc?
>>
>> Doing some digging, it looks like this was introduced in kdepim 4.4, and
>> would not affect earlier versions.  Can anyone confirm this?
>
>No it was added in 4.6 or 4.7 when we ported to akonadi2
>In 4.4 it didn't use *WebKit*
>
>and it didn't use same code :
>it used DOM::
>
>'  try {
>   // Create a DOM Document from the HTML source
>   DOM::HTMLDocument doc;
>   doc.open();
>   doc.write( htmlSource );
>   doc.close();
>
>   mIsQuotedLine = false;
>   mIsFirstTextNodeInLine = true;
>   processNode( doc.documentElement() );
>   return doc.toString().string();
> }
>'
>
>So for me it's just kmail > 4.6 (we released an old 4.6-akonadi)
>
>not necessary to try to fix in 4.4
>
>I CC David if he has more infos.
>
>I hope that it helps.
>
>Security problem is that we allows to use javascript.
>In 4.4 we don't have it.

Thanks for the info, Laurent (and thanks for the testcase, David).

I'm still unsure whether or not a CVE is required, as per Kurt's
comments about whether or not kmail was ever advertised as not
executing javascript.

I think because, at one time, it did not execute javascript, and now it
does (which is clearly bad for a mail client to do), it probably does
require a CVE name but before assigning one and getting negative
feedback, I'd like to make sure that assigning one is indeed
appropriate.

--
Vincent Danen / Red Hat Security Response Team