Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:48:48 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: Dustin Kirkland <dustin.kirkland@...zang.com>
CC: Tyler Hicks <tyhicks@...onical.com>, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
        Marcus Meissner <meissner@...e.de>,
        Dan Rosenberg <dan.j.rosenberg@...il.com>
Subject: Re: ecryptfs headsup

On 07/11/2012 08:08 AM, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Tyler Hicks
> <tyhicks@...onical.com> wrote:

>>> This vulnerability is limited to physical access via formatted
>>> USB drives because the eCryptfs filesystem code does not work
>>> on top of network filesystems.
>>>
>>> Additionally, I believe that the encrypted home source and
>>> destination mount points were hard-coded up until
>>> ecryptfs-utils version 86. Versions before that should not be
>>> vulnerable to the setuid-root binary on a USB drive attack
>>> mentioned above.
>>>
>>> Dustin - Would you have any objections to forcing the nosuid
>>> and nodev mount options in the mount.ecryptfs_private helper?
>
> Hi Tyler, et al.-
>
> I don't have any objections at all with adding nosuid and nodev to
> the hardcoded mount.ecryptfs_private options.
>
> Actually, I seem to recall this coming up recently before.  I
> can't find the bug or email thread (must have been IRC), but I
> recall offering to commit, test, and release that change
> immediately.  I believe I was asked to wait to do that until a CVE
> had been published...  I can't find any record of that conversation
> though, so that's just from memory.
>
> Shall I go ahead and commit/test/release that now, Tyler?

So it sounds like a non privileged user on an Ubuntu machine can
insert a USB stick/etc with a file system that gets automatically
mounted, said file system can contain setuid root binaries for example
which the user can then execute, elevating privileges?

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993