Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 10:12:25 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: John Haxby <john.haxby@...cle.com>
CC: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request -- kernel: tcp: drop SYN+FIN messages

On 06/01/2012 02:36 AM, John Haxby wrote:

> On 31/05/12 18:44, Kurt Seifried wrote:
>> To clarify: CVE-2012-2663 is for the --syn processing flaw of
>> SYN+FIN packets in iptables (user space tools). c Also if people
>> could test their firewalls to make sure this still doesn't affect
>> other operating systems that would probably be a good idea.
>
> It's not clear to me why you would want to allow SYN+FIN at all.
> So far as I have been able to discover t is only used for T/TCP
> which was obsoleted in May 2011 by RFC6247 which said this:
>
>> 4. Security Considerations
>
>> As mentioned in [RFC4614], the TCP Extensions for Transactions
>> (T/TCP) [RFC1379][RFC1644] are reported to have security issues
>> [DEVIVO].
>
> RFC4614 has this to say:
>
>> RFC 1379 I "Extending TCP for Transactions -- Concepts"
>> (November 1992): found defective
>
>> See RFC 1644.
>
>> RFC 1644 E "T/TCP -- TCP Extensions for Transactions Functional
>> Specification" (July 1994): found defective
>
>> The inventors of TCP believed that cached connection state could
>> have been used to eliminate TCP's 3-way handshake, to support
>> two-packet request/response exchanges. RFCs 1379 [RFC1379] and
>> 1644 [RFC1644] show that this is far from simple. Furthermore,
>> T/TCP floundered on the ease of denial-of-service attacks that
>> can result. One idea pioneered by T/TCP lives on in RFC 2140, in
>> the sharing of state across connections.
>
> I'm not averse to this being an iptables problem, I just wondered
> why that is the case given the reasons for making T/TCP historic.

Like I said we might assign a CVE for the kernel as well. As was
pointed out to me this is two issues:

1) iptables doing something unexpected, but sort of technically
quasi-correct (the best kind of correct ;), realistically firewalling
of packets should also include firewalling of modified/mangled version
of the packets (because that's what attackers do to circumvent
firewalls).

2) OS level, should we allow SYN+FIN at all? Is this a responsibility
for the operating system? To some degree yes, it should probably not
create a connection based on a mangled SYN packet (and this has been
fixed in the 3.x series). Is this a security issue or a security
hardening, debatable, but in any event it's a separate code base
(kernel) so it would get a separate CVE from the iptables side.

> jch

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993