Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 22:53:02 -0500
From: Andres Gomez <agomez@...idsignal.com>
To: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	vuln@...unia.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: Planeshift buffer overflow

Hi kurt,

The fact that only local user can modify program files doesn't mean there
is no security risk, there are a lot of examples but look at this:

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2011-4620

this is very similar, only local user can modify software files, but as
defined by Mitre this bug "allows user-assisted remote attackers to execute
arbitrary code", because an attacker can deceive a user to download and use
a specially crafted file. I accept the fact that "chatbubbles.xml" being a
configuration file makes it harder to be replaced, but still there is a
risk.

Thanks for the feedback,

Andres Gomez

2012/5/17 Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>

AVISO DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD:

Esta transmisión se entiende para uso del destinatario o la entidad a la
que va dirigida y puede contener información confidencial o protegida por
la ley. Si el lector de este mensaje no fuera el destinatario, considérese
por este medio informado que la retención, difusión, o copia de este correo
electrónico está estrictamente prohibida. Si recibe este mensaje por error,
por favor notifique inmediatamente al emisor y destruya el original. Gracias

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This transmission is intended for the use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed, and it may contain information that is confidential
or privileged under law. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that retention, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and
destroy the original. Thank you.