Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 11:26:50 -0400
From: micah anderson <micah@...eup.net>
To: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: sympa (try again)

On Fri, 11 May 2012 23:58:33 -0600, Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com> wrote:
> Ok I see this one and several more:
>
> ================================
>
> 6.1.11		May 11, 2012
> Bug fixes:
> [7358] wwsympa/wwsympa.fcgi.in:  Fixing a potential security issue
> related to archives

This is the CVE-2012-2352 that you assigned, upstream Sympa has now
created a page for security issues, this is one is detailed on there:

https://www.sympa.org/security_advisories#security_advisories

> 6.1.1           October 22, 2010
> This version includes a lots news such as DKIM support, autosignoff
> footer link included in lists messages, ...
> Various vulnerability have been solved in 6.1.1 : cross side scripting,
> cross-Site request forgeries, brute force attack, DOS. These
> vulnerabilities were identified with the help of P. Gardenat (Rectorat
>  de Rennes) during a security audit on Sympa.
> - ---------------------
> web_tt2/error.tt2, wwsympa/wwsympa.fcgi.in:  Now shared document
> can't	be read or edited unless list is open. This is a security fix
>
> ================================
>
> 6.0		1st October 2009
> Security:
> - - [reported by T. Retout] SQL injection threat removed by using place
> holders instead of direct sprint in a query.
> - - [Submitted by N. Bertrand, univ.  Minnesota] Basic logs in debug
> don't issue the password  unencrypted in the logs for function
> Auth::ldap_authentication. This way, this password won't be sent
> unencrypted to a possible syslog server.
> - - [#4439] [#4440] [reported by O.Berger] security vulnerability which
> use a file in /tmp.
> - - [#4430] store temporary files in Sympa's own tmp directory instead
> of /tmp to prevent symlink attacks

These issues were fixed a very long time ago, there was a security
advisory in 2010, here is the French CERT advisory for them:

http://www.certa.ssi.gouv.fr/site/CERTA-2010-AVI-505/

It appears that besides this most recent CVE, the only CVEs issued for
Sympa have been in 2008, so these were not assigned numbers.

micah

ps - I would sign this message, but it seems like it would be eaten by
EZLM :(