Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 00:14:14 -0700
From: ebiederm@...ssion.com (Eric W. Biederman)
To: Eugene Teo <eugeneteo@...nel.sg>
Cc: Marcus Meissner <meissner@...e.de>,  OSS Security List <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>,  security@...nel.org,  Sukadev Bhattiprolu <sukadev@...ibm.com>,  Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@...onical.com>,  Pavel Emelyanov <xemul@...nvz.org>
Subject: Re: CVE request: pid namespace leak in kernel 3.0 and 3.1

Eugene Teo <eugeneteo@...nel.sg> writes:

>> So we know what is holding the pid namespace reference.
>>
>> Additional thoughts.
>>
>> Does echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches clear up the issue?
>
> No.
>
>> Is there a corresponding task_struct leak?
>
> Yes.

Hmm.  The zombies are reaped?

I am scratching my head perhaps because I am looking at the current code
but I don't seem to see how a task that pins a pid can get past
release_task (the zombie reaper) and in particular past in release
__exit_signal() which calls unhash_process().

The simple test to see if we have made it past unhash_process is to see
if you can see the zombie processes.

> I'm helping to provide more information.

You are.  Thank you for looking to see what the symptoms are.

Eric