Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 20:10:53 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison@...uia.com>
CC: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE's for Drupal Contrib 2012 001 through 057
 (67 new CVE assignments)

On 04/11/2012 03:30 PM, Greg Knaddison wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Kurt Seifried
> <kseifried@...hat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/10/2012 10:30 AM, Greg Knaddison wrote:
>>> "NO CVE","SA-CONTRIB-2012-050","CDN2 Video -
>>>>

>>> While the backend service and module are no longer active,
>>> there are 70 sites using this module who are vulnerable to
>>> CSRF/XSS. What is the reason not to give it a CVE?
>>
>> I was under the impression that if the backend was off the
>> plugin wouldn't work/expose the vuln, I could of course be wrong,
>> if so I'll assign a CVE.
>
> I believe the XSS exists even without the backend. On review I'm
> less confident the CSRF is in the module or the service.

I'll hold off on it then.

>>> If you have any further suggestions on how we can improve the
>>> content or formatting of the SAs please let me know.
>>
>> Direct links to the code commits fixing them would be nice =)
>
> We probably can't do this, though it is a fairly common request.
> Our current policy is not to discuss the specific details for at
> least 2 weeks and closer to 6 months if possible. Project usage
> shows that most site builders don't upgrade very quickly.

Hrmm yeah that's a tough one. Do you do any regression testing to make
sure the new modules don't break things (if people know stuff is
unlikely to break they are more likely to upgrade quickly, usually any
ways).

> I didn't see an answer to my question about asking for
> CVE-identifier on Wednesdays after the SAs are released. I assumed
> that would be helpful so I just started doing that.

Perfect! I was just thinking, as long as the main project
contributors/etc. (e.g. you guys in the case of Drupal) do the CVE
requests in a regular and public way (e.g. to OSS-sec) than there is
minimal chance of duplicates and other problems (e.g. someone else
sending a request to Mitre directly or whatever).

> Thanks! Greg

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993