Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:11:04 -0400
From: Mark Stanislav <mark.stanislav@...il.com>
To: "Adam D. Barratt" <adam@...m-barratt.org.uk>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: CVE Requests

All points being made are very much valid and I certainly understand how
contextually oss-sec may be used to allocation requests under different
circumstances.

So here's my situation, I'm up for suggestions (of which, "wait longer", is
perfectly viable!)...

1) March 1st, I sent 2 of these CVEs over to Steve Christy at MITRE who had
previously allocated 9 prior CVEs in a day or two generally
2) March 8th, after not hearing back from Steve, I contacted
cve@...redirectly with all 5
3) March 15th, after not hearing back from MITRE, I contacted Kurt off list
as I've noted his helpfulness doing allocations
3a) Kurt pointed me to email the list, rather than him directly (which is
perfectly fine, but perhaps not the context I was aiming for initially)

So we're moving past two weeks, I have 5 CVEs I am trying to allocate and
talk with all of these developers to get on the same page which. None of
these vulnerabilities are exactly going to rock the security world (see:
CVE-2012-0002) but I'd love to be able to handle the process as MITRE
intends (Introduction to CVE Identifier Reservation -
http://cve.mitre.org/cve/cna.html) as I have previously 9 times with a lot
of success.

I apologize if these requests fell outside of the regular scope of the
list, but at this point I am just trying to get this process done with :)

-Mark