Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:39:52 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <>
CC: Andrew Alexeev <>
Subject: Re: CVE Request: nginx fix for malformed HTTP responses
 from upstream servers

On 03/15/2012 07:37 AM, Andrew Alexeev wrote:
> Hello,
> The nginx team has released stable version 1.0.14, and development
> version 1.1.17 of nginx web server, which include a fix for malformed
> HTTP responses from upstream servers:

Memory disclosure with specially crafted backend responses
Severity: major
Not vulnerable: 1.1.17+, 1.0.14+
Vulnerable: 0.1.0-1.1.16
The patch  pgp

> Without this fix contents of previously freed memory might be sent to
> a client if an upstream server returned specially crafted response,
> potentially resulting in sensitive information leak.
> Patch which can be applied to the earlier versions of nginx is here:
> Thanks to Matthew Daley for spotting this one.

This is a nicely formatted CVE request. In future if you want a CVE in
advance you can request one via the VS list and I'll be happy to assign
it privately there.

Please use CVE-2012-1180 for this issue.

Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)