Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:39:52 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Andrew Alexeev <andrew@...nx.com>
Subject: Re: CVE Request: nginx fix for malformed HTTP responses
 from upstream servers

On 03/15/2012 07:37 AM, Andrew Alexeev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The nginx team has released stable version 1.0.14, and development
> version 1.1.17 of nginx web server, which include a fix for malformed
> HTTP responses from upstream servers:
>
> http://trac.nginx.org/nginx/changeset/4535/nginx
> http://trac.nginx.org/nginx/changeset/4531/nginx
> http://trac.nginx.org/nginx/changeset/4530/nginx
>
> http://nginx.org/en/security_advisories.html

Memory disclosure with specially crafted backend responses
Severity: major
Not vulnerable: 1.1.17+, 1.0.14+
Vulnerable: 0.1.0-1.1.16
The patch  pgp

> Without this fix contents of previously freed memory might be sent to
> a client if an upstream server returned specially crafted response,
> potentially resulting in sensitive information leak.
>
> Patch which can be applied to the earlier versions of nginx is here:
> http://nginx.org/download/patch.2012.memory.txt
>
> Thanks to Matthew Daley for spotting this one.

This is a nicely formatted CVE request. In future if you want a CVE in
advance you can request one via the VS list and I'll be happy to assign
it privately there.

Please use CVE-2012-1180 for this issue.

--
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)