Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 09:27:43 +0530
From: Zubin Mithra <zubin.mithra@...il.com>
To: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Dhanesh k <dhanesh1428@...il.com>
Subject: Re: CVE-Request taglib vulnerabilities

Hello,

> On 03/04/2012 05:53 AM, Zubin Mithra wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Multiple bugs were found and reported in taglib, and have been patched.
> Out
> > of the 4 reported, 2 were patched recently while 2 only affected taglib
> > versions upto 1.7 and not the current development head at github.The
> > discussion at the taglib mailing list can be viewed here at [1].
> >
> > Kindly assign CVE's for the same.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Zubin Mithra
> >
> > [1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/taglib-devel/2012-March/002186.html
> >

> Can you post a summary of the issues needing CVE #'s? Thanks.

The issues which were present in the development head were :-

[1] A crafted ogg file with sampleRate as "0" leads to crash in the
application using taglib.
         fixed in the commit -
https://github.com/taglib/taglib/commit/77d61c6eca4d08b9b025738acf6b926cc750db23
[2] "vendorLength" field modification in ogg tag parsing causes crash in
the application using taglib.
         fixed in the commit -
https://github.com/taglib/taglib/commit/ab8a0ee8937256311e649a88e8ddd7c7f870ad59

The issues which are present in the latest "release" but not in the current
development head were :-

[3] Lack of sanity checks of fields which were read, and were used for
allocating memory; crafted files would lead of application crash.
[4] A one bit change in a working ogg file would cause a thread to loop
infinitely.

*Please note* :-

[1] and [2] were fixed after the report, and could be assigned CVE's.

I am unsure about the other two, as they were fixed in the development
branch, prior to our report. However, a release has not been made with the
patches for [3] and [4] yet. Kindly assign CVE's for [3] and [4] if you see
it fit to do so.

Regards,
Zubin Mithra