Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:10:40 -0500 (EST)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...-smtp.mitre.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
cc: muuratsalo experimental hack lab <muuratsalo@...il.com>,
        Ulli Horlacher <framstag@....uni-stuttgart.de>
Subject: Re: Vulnerabilitites in Debian F*EX <= 20100208 and
 F*EX 20111129-2.

Nico Golde said:

> [...]

We actually need two CVEs here.

Which components the vulnerabilities are in, is rarely relevant for
deciding how many CVEs to assign.  Much more critical is which versions
are affected.  The original researcher provided two advisories for 2
different versions.  So even though "fup" is affected, we mould need to
SPLIT if there are some items/vectors/issues that affect different
versions than others (hint: we will SPLIT.)

Kurt said:

> Please use CVE-2012-0869 for this issue.

Here are the breakdowns for the two advisories/versions:

F*EX <= 20100208
   fup / from parameter
   fup / to parameter
   fup / id parameter

F*EX 20111129-2
   fup / id parameter

So, based on the original report, we have:

   20100208 only:
     fup / from
     fup / to

   20100208 *and* 20111129-2
     fup / id

So, we MERGE the "fup" and "from" vectors since they affect the same
version, and we SPLIT these from the "id" vector. (For the incredibly
detail-oriented: whether the parameters come via GET or POST methods is
irrelevant for CVE.)

Now, the question is which issue we link with CVE-2012-0869.  Since Debian
bug 660621 focuses on the id parameter, and that paremeter affects both
listed versions, I guess it makes sense to focus CVE-2012-0869 on the id
parameter.

I've assigned CVE-2012-1293 for the "from" and "to" parameters that are
only listed for 20100208.

- Steve