Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:20:17 +0100
From: Michael Niedermayer <michaelni@....at>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: valentino.angeletti@...l.com, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, tytso@....edu
Subject: Re: Re: pwgen: non-uniform distribution of passwords

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:34:12PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 09:21:17AM +0100, valentino.angeletti@...l.com wrote:
> > may ask you what software (and how it works brute force ecc) you used?
>
> John the Ripper, indeed - generating a custom .chr file (which is based
> on trigraph frequencies) from a sample of 1 million of pwgen'ed
> passwords and then using this file to crack another (non-overlapping)
> sample of pwgen'ed passwords.  My initial notification to oss-security
> and Bugtraq included these links, which describe this in more detail:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2010/11/17/7
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2010/11/22/5
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2010/11/28/1
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2010/12/06/1
>
> However, as I wrote in a followup posting to oss-security 2 days ago:
>
> "I might update/revise my analysis on this issue in a few days.
>
> Specifically, I now suspect that a (large) part of the apparent
> non-uniformity of the distribution was in fact an artifact of my
> analysis approach.  I only analyzed sets of 1 million of pwgen'ed
> passwords, so I could not directly check the distribution of full
> passwords (1 million is too little, even compared to the small keyspace
> of these passwords), whereas JtR only uses trigraph frequencies.
>
> I am now generating 1 billion of pwgen'ed passwords, which should take a
> couple of days to complete. [...]"
>
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2012/01/17/14
>
> This has in fact completed by now:
>
> $ ./pwgen -1cn 8 1000000000 | dd obs=10M > 1g
> 17578125+0 records in
> 858+1 records out
> 9000000000 bytes (9.0 GB) copied, 147496 seconds, 61.0 kB/s
>
> And I analyzed this larger sample briefly:
>
> $ time ~/john/john-1.7.9-jumbo-5/run/unique -v -mem=25 1gu < 1g
> Total lines read 1000000000 Unique lines written 697066573
>
> real    144m40.619s
> user    142m8.727s
> sys     0m39.645s
>
> So that's 697 million unique passwords in 1 billion, which for a uniform
> distribution would correspond to a total keyspace size of 1.3 billion:
>
> $ ./solve 697066573 1000000000
> 1296935185
>
> I've attached the solve.c program to this message.  [ BTW, I verified
> that there's no fatal precision loss in its expected_different()
> function (despite of the risky expression) for the value ranges on which
> it is called here.  I did so by also computing the expected different
> value with a different (much slower) algorithm - just not as part of
> equation solving (which would be slower yet). ]
>
> However, let's see what numbers we get for smaller samples (actually,
> subsets of the 1 billion sample above, but that's OK in this case):
>
> Total lines read 100000000 Unique lines written 89163247
> Total lines read 10000000 Unique lines written 9811335
> Total lines read 1000000 Unique lines written 997978
>
> $ ./solve 89163247 100000000
> 427419891
> [...]

Its also interresting to note that some password lengths are a lot
worse than others and that longer does not equal better in some cases

$ pwgen -1cn 4 100000 | sort | uniq -u |wc -l
98385
$ pwgen -1cn 5 100000 | sort | uniq -u |wc -l
82589
$ pwgen -1cn 6 100000 | sort | uniq -u |wc -l
96693
$ pwgen -1cn 7 100000 | sort | uniq -u |wc -l
99524
$ pwgen -1cn 8 100000 | sort | uniq -u |wc -l
99954

lucky the default is not 5

[...]

The real ebay dictionary, page 2
"100% positive feedback" - "All either got their money back or didnt complain"
"Best seller ever, very honest" - "Seller refunded buyer after failed scam"

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (199 bytes)