Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 19:44:07 -0700
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Nicolas Grégoire <nicolas.gregoire@...rri.fr>
Subject: Re: CVE affected for PHP 5.3.9 ?

On 01/14/2012 05:15 PM, Nicolas Grégoire wrote:
>> Right but the script has to have the line
>> <sax:output href="0wn3d.php" method="text">
> Wrong.
>
> The PHP code only has to call transformToXML() after having loaded the
> malicious XSLT code via importStylesheet(). The XML data itself is
> irrelevant for this bug and the "sax:output" tag isn't in the PHP script
> but in the XSLT stylesheet provided by the attacker.
>
> # LOAD XML FILE
> $XML = new DOMDocument();
> $XML->loadXML( $sXml );
>
> # LOAD XSLT FILE
> $XSL = new DOMDocument();
> $XSL->loadXML( $sXsl ); // Content of $xXsl may be untrusted !
>
> # START XSLT
> $xslt = new XSLTProcessor();
> $xslt->importStylesheet( $XSL );
>
> # TRASNFORM & PRINT
> print $xslt->transformToXML( $XML ); // File creation !
>
> Nicolas

So the attacker can control the output file name/location via a
malformed input from the attacker only? This would have been good to
have in your original info (we could have avoided this back and forth).
Can you provide a reproducer (vuln script and a malicious input) that
shows this in action (e.g. creates a local php file).

--

-- Kurt Seifried / Red Hat Security Response Team