Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:25:01 +0530
From: Huzaifa Sidhpurwala <>
CC: Kurt Seifried <>, Agostino Sarubbo <>
Subject: Re: CVE request: Wireshark multiple vulnerabilities

On 01/12/2012 05:12 AM, Kurt Seifried wrote:
On 01/12/2012 05:12 AM, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> On 01/11/2012 09:19 AM, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
>> According to secunia advisory: :
>> Multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Wireshark, which can be
>> exploited by malicious people to cause a DoS (Denial of Service) and
>> compromise a user's system.
>> 1) NULL pointer dereference errors when reading certain packet information can
>> be exploited to cause a crash.
>> 2) An error within the RLC dissector can be exploited to cause a buffer
>> overflow via a specially crafted RLC packet capture file.
>> and according with upstream advisory:
>> 1)
>> Name: Multiple Wireshark file parser vulnerabilities
>> Laurent Butti discovered that Wireshark failed to properly check record sizes
>> for many packet capture file formats.
>> Impact:
>> It may be possible to make Wireshark crash by convincing someone to read a
>> malformed packet trace file.
> Please use CVE-2012-0041 for this issue

There are 6 file format crashes here. In the interest of vendors, which
dont always rebase to the newer version, would it be convenient to split
these into 6 CVEs?

I doubt some older versions are affected by only some crashers.

Huzaifa Sidhpurwala / Red Hat Security Response Team