Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 14:56:15 -0700
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Florian Weimer <fw@...eb.enyo.de>
Subject: Re: Malicious devices & vulnerabilties

On 01/09/2012 12:35 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Kurt Seifried:
>
>> Firewire has DMA.
>>
>> http://cansecwest.com/core05/2005-firewire-cansecwest.swf
>>
>> eSATA - also does DMA.
>>
>> Thunderbolt also does DMA.
>>
>> In other words a lot of the newer/higher end interfaces all do DMA
>> which is ... a problem.
> Gigabit Ethernet adapters also do DMA.  Is it really the case that the
> (e)SATA implementation is as problematic as IEEE 1394?  I don't think
> SATA exposes the DMA functionality over the wire.
Hmmm yeah reading some Intel docs it would appear they did DMA and SATA
sanely

http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/whitepaper/252664.pdf

However it would appear Thunderbolt didn't do such a good job:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/24/thunderbolt_mac_threat/

--

-- Kurt Seifried / Red Hat Security Response Team