Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 12:37:44 -0500 (EST)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...-smtp.mitre.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Requests for FFmpeg 0.9.1

Michael, this is a well-organized request, thank you!

>I tried to sort the issues a little according to type to make this huge
>list a bit less ugly. Also feel free to skip things considered too minor,
>iam not sure where the threshold of "too minor" is.

A couple thoughts on this one, I hope this makes sense.

My VERY limited understanding of ffmpeg is that it is single-user, and it
can only process a single file from a single source, without multiple
"sessions" or "actions" using data from different sources.  If that is the
case, then crashers like NULL dereferences and divide-by-zero might not
qualify for inclusion in CVE.  With products like web browsers and
document editors, a crash from one single window or tab could cause a
denial of service by closing *other* independent windows or tabs that the
user may care about; with things like kernels or servers, a crash affects
many sessions and users.  So if ffmpeg only processes one file at a time,
a basic crasher probably doesn't get a CVE.

If the crash is strongly associated with data integrity, e.g. memory
corruption or invalid free's, then it would get a CVE - since we make a
conservative assumption that a code-execution exploit *might* be found by
someone, and the consequence might be more than DoS.  I've been somewhat
agnostic about out-of-range reads.

However, such crashes that appear in the *libraries* provided by ffmpeg
would qualify, since those libraries might be used in an independent
product for which a crash is a security issue (for example, a product
might use a library function to convert the audio for a large number of
files that have been uploaded from many users, and a single crash prevents
other users' files from being converted.  In this way, shared libraries
are treated more conservatively.)

- Steve