Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 02:39:46 +0200
From: Henri Salo <henri@...v.fi>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: XSSer v1.6 -beta- aka "Grey Swarm!" released.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 05:29:55PM -0700, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> On 11/30/2011 05:11 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
>
> > > All -

> > > We do not have a strict policy on whether security tool announcements
> > > are appropriate in here or not.  My current stance on it is that
> > > one-time announcements of tools with specific relevance to Open Source
> > > are OK, whereas repeated new version announcements are not.  Thus, I
> > > approved the announcement of XSSer this one time, but I don't intend to
> > > approve an announcement of the next version of XSSer.  Please let me
> > > know if you'd like this approach changed in some way.
> > >
> Agreed. Random thought: or if a project makes a major
> breakthrough/update/change/once a year type of announcement is probably
> sane too? I like hearing about new tools and definitely don't have time
> to go through Google/etc any more =).
>

> > > Meanwhile, the various CFPs and e-magazine issue announcements that are
> > > arriving to oss-security are being rejected - as we decided previously.
> > >
> +1
>
> > > Alexander
> -- -Kurt Seifried / Red Hat Security Response Team

Advisories of major improvements is good limit in my opinion and I really do mean major improvements. +1 for e-magazine case also. I don't see a point of spamming list yearly if nothing interesting has happened. Software vendors/developers should create their own mailing lists and/or RSS-feeds.

- Henri Salo