Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 22:51:57 -0700
From: Kurt Seifried <kurt@...fried.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Arch Linux Shaman issue

Did this ever get a CVE #? I can't find one.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=64066&p=1

The point of this thread was that you don't need to enter the root
password at all. Not the first time, not ever.

As far as I understand, it is supposed to work like this: When you
first use shaman too install anything, it asks for the root password
You can tick a "Do not ask me again"-box, so you don't have to enter
the password again. If you tick the box and enter the password, shaman
add the lines
[auth]
askforpwd=false
to the users shaman.conf-file (~./config/shaman/shaman.conf) The next
time shaman is run, it checks the config file, and if the askforpwd
value is set to false, it grants itself root privileges (with some
nifty setuuid root-thingy, I imagine) This is not the problem - this
is the feature.

The bug is this:
the fact that any user can add the lines
[auth]
askforpwd=false
to his own shaman.conf file, without ever entering the root password
in shaman. The next time shaman is run, it checks the config file, and
if the askforpwd value is set to false, it grants itself root
privileges - even though the user has never entered the root password.
This works for any unprivileged user on the system.

If that is indeed a feature intended by any sane person, then I'm
Mother Mary. And that can't be, seeing as I don't have breasts.

Appears to never have been fixed, the last release of shaman appears
to have been 1.0.9 in 2008-09-06, the bug report was filed 2009-01-28.

--
Kurt Seifried
kurt@...fried.org