Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:46:57 -0700
From: Colin Percival <cperciva@...ebsd.org>
To: Eitan Adler <eadler@...ebsd.org>
CC: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, security@...ian.org,
 secteam@...ebsd.org
Subject: Re: CVE Request: FreeBSD kernel

On 10/24/11 12:12, Eitan Adler wrote:
>> This has been assigned CVE-2011-4062 by MITRE in the mean time.
>
> Something is odd with the MITRE CVE:
>
> According to http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2011-4062
> the bug is in the Linux emulation code. However the bug is really in
> the bind(2) system call. There was a different bug in the emulation
> code exposed by fixing the bind vulnerability but the system is
> vulnerable even without linux emulation turned on.

Indeed, the text on the CVE page is entirely bogus.  I'd recommend using this
text, from our advisory:
> When a UNIX-domain socket is attached to a location using the bind(2)
> system call, the length of the provided path is not validated.  Later,
> when this address was returned via other system calls, it is copied into
> a fixed-length buffer.

The places where the FreeBSD advisory mentions linux emulation relate only to
the non-security bugfix which we rolled into the patch for the sake of avoiding
breakage.

(Is there anyone on the list who can fix the CVE description?  If not, I'll
poke the CVE folks directly.)

--
Colin Percival
Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve