Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 23:07:34 +0200
From: "Jan-Oliver Wagner" <Jan-Oliver.Wagner@...enbone.net>
To: openvas-devel@...d.intevation.org
Cc: Josh Bressers <bressers@...hat.com>,
 oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
 Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov@...hat.com>,
 Stjepan Gros <stjepan.gros@...il.com>,
 Bugs NotHugs <bugsnothugs@...il.com>,
 "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: [Openvas-devel] CVE Request -- openvas-scanner -- Insecure temporary file use by generation of an OVAL system characteristics document, when ovaldi support enabled

Hello,

On Friday 09 September 2011 19:45:03 Josh Bressers wrote:
> Let's go with one ID. I don't see a reason to split these.
> Use CVE-2011-3351

I think it should be clarified:
_No one_ who is properly using OpenVAS with OpenVAS Feed or with the
Greenbone Feed is affected.

No OVAL script is even tried to be executed: no OVAL file is in the feed and
if you/someone copies one into your feed copy it is not being executed because
it has no valid signature.

So you need to switch to unsecure mode, then place OVAL files into your
feed copy, install ovaldi etc, etc.

Of course the OpenVAS developers will be fixing the problem regardless
of the practical relevance!

What frightens me is that a security advisory about OpenVAS 2 (a already
deprecated version) made it even into official advisories of CERTs.
The review process seems to not work as it should, no one ever checked
back wether this version is deprecated. So it should be easy to get faked
security alerts about some tools you don't like into official CERT advisories.
Or am I getting something wrong here?

Best

	Jan