Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 17:56:46 +0200
From: Nico Golde <oss-security+ml@...lde.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: CVE id request: shttpd/mongoose/yassl embedded webserver

Hi,
I found a buffer overflow in the PUT processing of shttpd/mongoose/yassl
embedded webserver (all based on the same source code).

Can someone assign a CVE id to this?
Upstream fix: https://code.google.com/p/mongoose/source/detail?r=556f4de91eae4bac40dc5d4ddbd9ec7c424711d0#

The bug:
_shttpd_put_dir()/put_dir() function:
26         for (s = p = path + 2; (p = strchr(s, '/')) != NULL; s = ++p) {
27                 len = p - path;
28                 assert(len < sizeof(buf));
29                 (void) memcpy(buf, path, len);
30                 buf[len] = '\0';
31
32                 /* Try to create intermediate directory */
33                 if (_shttpd_stat(buf, &st) == -1 &&
34                     _shttpd_mkdir(buf, 0755) != 0)
35                         return (-1);
36
37                 /* Is path itself a directory ? */
38                 if (p[1] == '\0')
39                         return (0);
40         }

The only guard here to avoid a buffer overflow with a long path is
the assert call in line 28. Unfortunately this is disabled if
you compile with -DNDEBUG and from what I see quite a lot of people
are doing that in order to reduce the binary size (those are embedded
webservers intended to be used in embedded environments).

It seems quite some projects actually do that, including a
deployed product embedded product I'm currently
looking at (and that was rooted because of this bug).
From what I see -DNDEBUG in the mongoose makefile this is also the default for the mingw
binary.

If this is not the case, this is still a DoS bug.

Kind regards
Nico
--
Nico Golde - http://www.ngolde.de - nion@...ber.ccc.de - GPG: 0xA0A0AAAA