Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:59:05 +0200
From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@...e.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Michael Matz <matz@...e.de>, Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@...e.de>,
	Andreas Jaeger <aj@...e.de>
Subject: Re: CVE request: crypt_blowfish 8-bit character mishandling

Solar Designer wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 02:02:53PM +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> > [...]
> > and log a message for the admin that tells him to run "passwd -e"
> > on the account.
>
> This is even worse: you'd be storing some info about the password itself
> in plaintext!  Yes, that's just one bit, yet it may allow for more
> focused attacks.  If an intruder retrieves not only the shadow file, but
> also the log file, they'd be able to attack those hashes faster.
> Similarly, if another user has read access to the log file, but not to
> the shadow file, they'd know which accounts (not) to target with 8-bit
> chars in an online password guessing attack.
>
> So please don't do that.  If you need to make things mostly transparent
> for admins and users, here's my suggestion:
>
> Add an option to treat 2a in existing hashes as 2x.  Maybe this should
> even be the default.

I think we cannot risk locking out users (which might include the
admin) with a security update on a released product. So existing
hashes have to keep working. My fear is that most systems just stay
in that compat mode forever if we don't make some component complain
though.

> For new hashes, produced by crypt_blowfish 1.1+ with the mandatory
> self-test in it, use a new prefix - 2y.  When checking, treat it as 2a
> (and I may make it official and transparent in 1.1.1+).
>
> How does this sound to you?
>
> Additionally, for the paranoid, when the option to treat 2a as 2x is
> disabled, disallow logins with passwords containing 0xff chars (possible
> attack).  Maybe only for 2a hashes, but not for 2y.  In order not to
> leak this fact via timings, perform the hashing anyway.  (I'll consider
> making this built-in in a new version of crypt_blowfish, which should
> let us be more careful with timings.)

Ok, so we'd need two config options, one to toggle signedness bug
compat mode (2a=2x) and one to disallow 0xff if compat mode is off.

Default for for the security update would be bug compat mode on.
In that mode new passwords would get the 2y prefix. The 0xff option
has no effect. Over time the number of 2a passwords decreases. Once
/etc/shadow contains no 2a passwords on important accounts anymore
the admin could switch off bug compat mode and s/2y/2a/.

More nervous admins could disable bug compat mode right away. That
would lock out affected users unless the admin also does s/2a/2x/.
The really paranoid could additionally enable the 0xff option. New
passwords would get 2a.

I suppose crypt_blowfish is not meant to parse some config file, so
we'd have to implement the options in the pam modules.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel