Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 20:18:50 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>, Pierre Joye <pierre.php@...il.com>
Subject: Re: CVE request: crypt_blowfish 8-bit character mishandling

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 09:56:23AM -0600, Vincent Danen wrote:
> PostgreSQL is affected as well (the pgcrypto module):
>
> % head crypt-blowfish.c
> /*
>  * $PostgreSQL: pgsql/contrib/pgcrypto/crypt-blowfish.c,v 1.14 2009/06/11
>  14:48:52 momjian Exp $

We need to actually review and/or test this revision of the code before
we conclusively say that it's affected.  Maybe you did that already?

So far, there's one example where a revision of the code turned out to
be unaffected - Crypt::Eksblowfish in CPAN.  In fact, this is what has
resulted in discovery of the bug (even though it was fixed in
Crypt::Eksblowfish during its initial integration of the code in 2007).

> php-suhosin also contains the same code.

Yes.  These two are listed at http://www.openwall.com/crypt/

We need to go over those listed on that page and then also search the
web for possible other users of the code.  Then try to figure out which
are actually affected (probably most of them are) and notify the
maintainers.  For now, my focus is to push crypt_blowfish 1.1 out, but I
do need to include a few sentences on roughly what software is affected
in my announcement.  I'd appreciate any help with those reviews/testing.

Thank you!

Alexander