Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 21:22:30 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Closed list

On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 07:03:55AM -1000, akuster wrote:
> On 05/02/2011 06:12 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> > On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 04:56:30AM -1000, akuster wrote:
> >> Can you clarify what is meant by updates?
> >
> > RHEL-like .src.rpm's or equivalent will do.  Something else might do.
>
> Ok.. but do they need to be publicly available ( ie no service or
> maintenance contract to get)?

Per the discussion so far, yes, or you would likely be in another
category from the "open" Linux distro vendors.  I don't know what others
in here would say if you, for example, only make advisories public, but
not any code.  Maybe this will do (that is, folks would not oppose you
being on the same list with the "open" vendors), maybe not.  A better
option could be for you to make advisories and package metainfo public
(file lists, change logs, etc.), but not the packages themselves.
I similarly don't know how that would be received by others in here.
On one hand, it would show that you're preparing security updates, for
what software, and when.  On the other, the level of openness would
still be less than Red Hat's.

Alexander