Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 07:03:55 -1000
From: akuster <akuster@...sta.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
Subject: Re: Closed list

On 05/02/2011 06:12 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 04:56:30AM -1000, akuster wrote:
>> On 04/30/2011 04:51 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
>> <snipped>
>>
>>> Hence, I've saved your subscription request to a separate folder, to
>>> revisit it if a decision is made to start adding "closed" vendors to the
>>> list, if Wind River starts to publish advisories and updates (in other
>>> words, if it becomes no more closed than Red Hat), or if a suitable
>>> separate list is setup.
>>
>> Can you clarify what is meant by updates?
>
> RHEL-like .src.rpm's or equivalent will do.  Something else might do.

Ok.. but do they need to be publicly available ( ie no service or
maintenance contract to get)?

> While we're at it, just what software do MontaVista and Wind River ship?

MontaVista ships Linux, apps, toolchains and misc cross development
tools. The number of applications vary depending on the product version.

MVL6 and CGE 6 both use bitbake (ie receipt sytle) and older products
use RPM.

> My guess is that embedded Linux distro vendors would not care about
> vulnerabilities in desktop-specific apps (e.g., the X server), but I
> could be wrong.

We do supply X server.

And there are other software categories, which may or
> may not be relevant.  It'd be nice for potential reporters of security
> issues to know which vendors might be affected.

yes it would be nice. I will add it to my list of things todo.

- Armin