Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 14:56:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Josh Bressers <bressers@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Closed list

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 02:09:08PM -0400, Josh Bressers wrote:
> > I think this is suitable. The goal here is to ensure that a vendor is
> > actually producing updates and aren't just a potential leak.
>
> OK, so do you propose that we subscribe Wind River, and wait for
> MontaVista to setup something similar to these RSS feeds before we also
> subscribe them?

I'm OK with this action.

> A secondary goal behind requiring access to advisories and updates (not
> just metainfo) would be to be able to draw the line between vendors and
> companies that build their own Linux distros in house. The latter could
> also publish an RSS feed showing how they update their packages, yet they
> would not be a vendor to anyone other than themselves... On the other
> hand, publishing updates without publishing the distro itself doesn't
> make them more of a vendor to others. So to achieve this goal we'd
> probably need to require the distro itself to be public (in at least one
> form - e.g., Red Hat's .src.rpm's are sufficient), not just advisories
> and updates.
>
> We may choose not to pursue this secondary goal now.

This one is a bit wonky. I'm not sure what the answer should be. I think we
should refer to sanity and current list members for advice. I suspect if we
have rules we try to follow 100%, they will be trivial to work around.
After all, don't we all make our living making things do things they're not
supposed to do? :)

Thanks.

--
    JB