Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 22:32:29 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Closed list

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 03:56:15PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 08:11:11PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > Benji's trolling does raise a couple real issues.  The private keys and
> > passphrases of those responding here have now become highly lucrative
> > targets for attackers.  Hence, everyone on this new list needs to use
> > good practices to keep their keys, hard drives, and computers safe.
> > There should probably be some common guidelines for key safety for all
> > participants.
>
> So would be my work mailbox in previous times.
>
> I guess you are overestimating the value of the information that could
> be possibly gained.

Yes, I think folks are overestimating the value of the information that
was on vendor-sec, and I am going to try to reduce that value even
further for the new Linux distros list (such as by pushing discussions
on non-medium severity issues elsewhere, and by limiting the embargo
periods).  I think vendor-sec was primarily a target of attacks as a
challenge, not so much for the value of the information that it actually
carried.

Alexander