Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 13:26:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: R P Herrold <herrold@...river.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Closed list

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Tomas Hoger wrote:

> Given the aim to keep the subscriber list very limited, this probably
> falls into a tentatively subscribed category too.  AFAIK, CentOS has
> rather few components that are not rebuilds of the RHEL SRPMs, the
> question is how often a v-s info was useful in the past in providing
> security updates for those extra packages.

Thanks for the post furthering the marketing goals of your
corporate master; perhaps the security goal of making sure the
Linux server space is well-secured in a timely fashion was
overlooked by you as you framed your thought

Seemingly (you mention 'AFAIK'), you do not follow the
'extras' archive, nor the 'testing' where extensions are
found, past what Red Hat ships by default in its enterprise
product

I have regularly flagged to our updates builder sub-group, for
slotting in updates to push out vulnerable content in those
side archives, based on vendor-sec notes; further, in ranking
the 'urgency' of a push, I posted a rather detailed package by
package analysis of un-pushed updates, in the last month or
so, as to matters pending during the intersticial 'solve the
rebuild' delay as to some updates issued upstream but not yet
pushed by the CentOS team, in part based upon tracking
vendor-sec

-- Russ herrold
 	herrold@...tos.org