Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:48:53 +0000
From: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>
To: Josh Bressers <bressers@...hat.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Mark McLoughlin <mark@...net.ie>,
 "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>, David King
 <amigadave@...gadave.com>
Subject: Re: CVE Request / Discussion -- vino -- reports the
 desktop being reachable only over the local network, when reachable from
 everywhere

On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 07:58 -0400, Josh Bressers wrote:
> I probably should have been more clear here. I was under the impression the
> CVE id applied to instances where it would use UPnP and no auth, which is
> dangerous and should probably include a big warning with a button that says
> "I know what I'm doing (but probably not really)".

Right. So that CVE should apply to the case of it listening on a
publicly available IP address with no auth, whether it uses uPnP or not.

If it just listens on the socket and is usable from the outside world
without a password, that's the *same* problem.

The CVE really has nothing to do with uPnP; it's about the lack of
authentication on a publicly-available service.

--
dwmw2