Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:30:04 -0400
From: "Mike O'Connor" <mjo@...o.mi.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Vendor-sec hosting and future of closed lists

:On 03/15/2011 11:01 AM, Mike O'Connor wrote:
:>[catching up on older emails]
:>
:>:>  >  They do this already today, that's what security@...nel.org is for,
:>and
:>:>  >  it gets a bit of traffic like this every week.
:>:>
:>:>  Is this list open to the public?  It doesn't seem to be available on
:>:>  http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html.
:>:
:>:No, it is closed, as it should be as potential security problems are
:>:mailed there.  You don't want that to be totally open, right?
:>
:>One suggestion I've made in the past is to have the list _archives_ be
:>open.  So anything older than, say, a month is made public.  That way,
:>folks can see how issues were disclosed, how decisions were reached,
:>etc.  for old issues that are no longer under embargo.  The way I see
:>it, if we don't publish the list archive on our own terms, miscreants
:>will get around to publishing it for us.
:
:Any fixes for the issues reported in s@k.o will be committed to the
:upstream kernel immediately. The "disclosures" of those fixes are shared
:in this list. Keep a look out for my emails.

That shows the ultimate results, but not the process.  Sometimes, the
process is important.  Sometimes you want to know who said what and
when.  Let people see what's going on for themselves (eventually) and
draw their own conclusions.

(And yeah, I do keep an eye out for your emails.  Thanks!  :) )

--
 Michael J. O'Connor                                          mjo@...o.mi.org