Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:57:53 +0100
From: Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Vendor-sec hosting and future of closed lists

Hi Alexander,

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 01:49:20AM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 07:12:24PM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > So I would like to open up a discussion with _all_ OSS Security folks present.
> >
> > - Is a closed vendor coordination like vendor-sec still needed at this time?
>
> Yes, there's some need for it.

Yes i too agree for this, at least just for coordination and for the few
"this thing smells really bad, can someone have a look".

> >   Meaning: does the benefit of a closed group really outweigh the
> >   "left out feeling" of non members and its annoyances?
>
> In that meaning, I am not sure.  These things are not possible to
> compare, and there are other things to consider as well.

I observe very different behaviours between v-sec and sec@.... v-sec is
much more coordination oriented. sec@k.o is more a switch to quickly get
the skilled people involved. In fact, the first response to a message posted
to sec@k.o generally is a CC to a bunch of people supposed to be skilled on
the subject. CRDs are not accepted and tend to get Linus very nervous. In
the end, patches get merged very quickly. So that way of working looks very
efficient to me and the small group as the entry point is a benefit (in my
opinion).

V-sec on the other hand has to concentrate on coordination because there are
multiple vendors with different constraints. So there are many readers as
Marcus said. The risk of leak is much more important, because many of the
subscribers are not interested in the other ones' issues, so they will
possibly be less careful.

Also, since the primary goal is to get a CRD, embargoes tend to last longer,
and issues seem to be mostly handled by the group than by external project
authors. One of the reasons might simply be that it's less easy to reliably
get a yet unknown maintainer to cooperate on an issue when he's never been
involved in the process, than it is in a single project like the linux kernel.
And there are all the uncontrollable ones who publish the fix before the CRD.

So most likely the first part of the process (switching to the right people)
is better handled by a small group, but the second part needs larger audience
(in my opinion).

My observation is that the persons doing the first forwarding of the issue
to the appropriate people are generally the same on a given list, whether
it is v-sec or sec@.... Maybe this small group of very active watchers
should constitute the small group and once a fix gets in sight, then the
various vendors could be involved for a CRD.

> > - If yes, would it be an idea to confine or split into lists of focus groups?
> >   (like Linux vendors, BSD vendors, all OSS source using vendors, etc?)
>
> My current proposal is: split into several sub-lists.  I'd start with
> three: Linux vendors, *BSD vendors, security "researchers".  The vendor
> groups would be for externally submitted reports (by non-members) and
> for cross-vendor discussions.
>
> The Linux vendors group should include distro vendors.  I am unsure
> whether it should also include Linux kernel-only folks or not.  Maybe we
> should be CC'ing security@k.o on relevant messages instead, or maybe we
> need a separate group for Linux distros+kernel.  It feels wrong to
> expose userland-only issues to the kernel-only folks.

My opinion is that before I was on sec@k.o I was much more interested in
v-sec than I am now, because it was my only way to get notified of critical
issues. But most of the discussions on v-sec and even oss-sec concern user
land programs that sometimes I've never even heard of or at least am not
using.

My participation to the v-sec list has been somewhat limited, and if it
was only distro-oriented, I would have nothing to do there (I should not
even be aware of issues prior to public release).

On the other hand, I find it natural that various distro making use of the
same package are involved in getting it fixes, whether they're Linux-based,
BSD-based or even Solaris or whatever. Eg: ghostscript is almost everywhere.
If it needs to be handled on all distros at once, it makes sense to involve
more vendors than now.

> The researchers group would (probably) rarely receive external reports
> directly, but could be involved in Linux and/or *BSD vendors discussions
> by CC'ing them when their expertise is needed.

My feeling is that some of them as been as much active once out of the list
as when they were in the list. Granted once out of the list we lacked their
expertise to solve some issues, but it's the responsibility of the group to
quickly forward to the skilled people, and researchers may step up
indicating that they're willing to help when asked.

> Alternatively, the
> researchers may be included on the vendor lists, which will enable and
> encourage them to contribute a lot more, but then we need to define some
> stricter requirements for them (some minimum activity level?)  We don't
> want a lot of inactive members on any of these private lists.

But maybe most of the discussions there is more like CRD noise than useful
material.

> As to projects such as, say, Samba and X.org, I'd exclude them.
> There's no difficulty for a researcher to notify one of these directly,
> and there's not much difficulty in CC'ing the proper one of these on a
> discussion.

Agreed, projects are not distros. Ditto for Apache and the Linux kernel,
or whatever else such autonomous component. They can be CCed at any moment
by the group. Probably that the rules about disclosure should be relaxed so
that any member could take the responsibility to CC any relevant people out
of the group.

> > - Or of course the old option is open:
> >   Should we proceed with the current state as-is,
> > but throw a bit more GPG encryption on top?
>
> I think we should have the new list(s), if we do set them up,
> GPG-encrypting to the members.  They should also accept encrypted
> messages (to the list's key).
>
> This will reduce the likelihood of leaks somewhat - from the members'
> mail servers, from their unattended mailboxes, etc.

I'm really not convinced by that. If the end user is compromised, the MUA
is as much as risk as the MTA, and this trend will probably grow. Also, I
suspect that some of the leaking is caused by some persons not totally
involved in certain issues being a bit less careful about the required
confidentiality. It can be tempting to vaguely discuss the interesting
technical issues with a coworker or friend, but if done before the CRD,
even with limited information, that could cause some leakage. And GPG
will not address this. At least it will clearly indicate what leaks on
the user-side since the infrastructure will not be presented as a
possible cause anymore ;-)

> That said, leaks would nevertheless be quite likely - or at least we
> should assume so.  For this reason, I think these lists should be used
> for medium severity issues only, and CRDs should be set not too far into
> the future (say, up to 2 weeks, with an attempt to make embargoes
> shorter than that whenever possible).

In fact, it would be better to indicate to posters that whatever is
posted can be immediately released, and that instead of considering
that there's a default embargo, everyone who wants an embargo quickly
has to say it (including the poster) and explain why. After a few days
you have much more reasonable embargoes. All the rest will quickly go
to the public lists (eg: oss-sec).

Best regards,
Willy