Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 14:09:18 -0500 (EST)
From: Josh Bressers <>
Cc: coley <>
Subject: Re: CVE request: fuse

Sorry for the dealy, some other things popped up :(

I'm going to assign 3 IDs. These look like they maybe could be combined,
but I'd rather not try to just to have a big split later on when we find
out various versions are affected in different ways.

> Fuse tries to mount a directory without resolving symlinks, and then
> tries to update mtab. If it couldn't update mtab, it would unmount the
> directory while resolving symlinks this time, resulting in a different
> directory being unmounted.

Use CVE-2011-0541

> This prevents local users from changing the location of the current
> directory from under fuse using a timing attack.

Use CVE-2011-0542

> Fuse uses the --no-canonicalize mount option to prevent a symlink attack
> on the mount point written to mtab. For backwards compatibility reasons,
> it would fallback to using mount in an insecure way. This fallback could
> get triggered by a user when an entry already existed in mtab.

Use CVE-2011-0543