Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:02:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
To: Josh Bressers <bressers@...hat.com>
cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE id request: libc fortify source information
 disclosure

I think this technically qualifies as an "exposure" which is the "E" in
"CVE" - it can be used as a stepping stone for exploitation of another
vulnerability.  (Very old, unwieldy definitions here:
http://cve.mitre.org/about/terminology.html)

The risk may be very minimal, but the FORTIFY_SOURCE protection mechanism
is not working "as advertised" - it can be manipulated for an
admittedly-small information leak.

Use CVE-2010-3192 for the issue.

- Steve