Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:45:50 +1000
From: Stephen Thorne <>
To: oss-security <>
Cc: "Steven M. Christey" <>,
	Amos Jeffries <>,
	Stephen Thorne <>
Subject: Re: CVE Request -- Squid v3.1.6 -- DoS (crash) while processing
 large DNS replies with no IPv6 resolver present

On 2010-08-24, Jan Lieskovsky wrote:
>   Stephen Thorne reported a buffer overread flaw in the way Squid proxy caching server
> processed large DNS replies in cases, when no IPv6 resolver was present.
> A remote attacker could provide DNS reply with large amount of data,
> leading to denial of service (squid server crash).

Those references all look correct, but I have one small niggle, this was not a
buffer overread flaw.

What actually happens is that if a TCP DNS request is required, a logic error
causes a sockopt to be set on the ipv6 resolver fd, which will be fatal if that
resolver is not configured.

Stephen Thorne
Development Engineer
Netbox Blue