Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:30:30 -0600
From: Vincent Danen <vdanen@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: Qt SSL endless loop

* [2010-08-20 16:56:02 -0400] Steven M. Christey wrote:

>Just to close this up.  I have actually preserved CVE-2010-2621 and
>have marked CVE-2010-2533 as a duplicate, which is contrary to what
>Vincent said.

Bah, just re-read the below thing and you're entirely right, and this
was what I meant (looking at our bug, we never used 2533, and left 2621
as it was).  My intention was to note the newly _assigned_ one as a dupe
and I was apparently concentrating on the larger number when I wrote the
response.

Sorry about that, that probably created a healthy dose of confusion.

>MITRE is ultimately the authority on which CVE should be rejected
>when duplicates arise.  See
>http://cve.mitre.org/cve/editorial_policies/duplicates.html for the
>criteria that I generally follow (every once in a while, a behemoth
>"authoritative source" wins, though generally there is an expectation
>that their ID will become more ubiquitous in the future anyway.)

No problem at all.  Thanks for the clarification here Steve.

--
Vincent Danen / Red Hat Security Response Team