Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:09:05 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [oCERT-2010-001] multiple http client unexpected download filename vulnerability

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 03:47:42PM -0400, Steven M. Christey wrote:
> CVE-2010-2252 - wget

This is finally getting fixed in wget upstream:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-wget/2010-07/msg00076.html

Giuseppe had to come up with his own patch (included at the end of the
posting above).  He "couldn't" use Florian's patch for licensing reasons
(getting a patch into an FSF project requires some paperwork sent to the
FSF, and somehow this process got stalled at some stage).

The new option name is "--trust-server-names".

Some criticism from a wget user, and Giuseppe's answer (which I agree with):

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-wget/2010-08/msg00004.html

So things look good.  We should expect this feature and the safe default
in the next wget release.

(I did not test the patch myself, but I "trust" that it works.)

Alexander