Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:23:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
cc: dev@...pd.apache.org, jeremy@...zel.net
Subject: Re: CVE-2010-2791: mod_proxy information leak affecting
 2.2.9 only

A subtle comment here.  Arguably, this is the same core bug and could have
been merged into CVE-2010-2068, even though the versions are different.
Effectively, you've got multiple independent "streams" of 2.2.x Apache -
which vary by operating system - and there's no overlap between which
"stream" is affected by CVE-2010-2791 versus the ones that are affected by
CVE-2010-2068.  And there are no regression errors.  This general
abstraction difficulty applies to most software that runs on multiple
platforms, where each platform has slightly different up-to-date versions,
or delays in fixes for some platforms versus others.  (You could extend
the logic to how each distro maintains its own versions of common
software...)

However, this is a fairly arcane point that demonstrates the difficulty of
keeping CVE consistent with only a couple simple rules (split-by-vulntype
and split-by-version), instead of getting mired in lots of exceptions.

As a practical matter, this is a fairly important distinction, and if we
were to MERGE into CVE-2010-2068 and update the description, that might
not be enough of a "signal" to sysadmins that they have to re-evaluate
their security posture.  So I'm reluctantly OK with leaving CVE-2010-2791
separate - but I don't want to set this up as a formal precedent for these
kinds of abstraction choices for later disclosures.

- Steve