Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 00:25:30 -0700
From: Paul Lesniewski <paul@...irrelmail.org>
To: Josh Bressers <bressers@...hat.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, security-2010@...irrelmail.org,
	security@...de.org, coley@...re.org
Subject: Re: [SquirrelMail-Security] CVE Request for Horde and
	Squirrelmail

Hello all,

>> Is there a CVE number available for the two 0-days exposed during Hack In
>> The Box Dubai 2010 ?
>>
>> Though the exploits were not given during HITB (?), some friends have
>> recently shown me that they found how both products (Squirrelmail and
>> Horde) might be abused to be transformed, so that they become some kind
>> of nmap scanner (banner grab, port scan, etc). It helps at discovering a
>> remote DMZ, internal LAN, etc, by using those webmails as evil internal
>> nmap proxies.
>>
>> More info available on the slides of the corporate hackers who found the
>> 0-days :
>> http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/materials/D1%20-%20Laurent%20Oudot%20-%20Improving%20the%20Stealthiness%20of%20Web%20Hacking.pdf
>> -> Squirrelmail: page 69 (post auth vuln)
>> -> Horde: page 74 (pre auth vuln)
>>

> Here goes, there isn't a lot of data on these.
>
> For Squirrelmail:
>
> Here are some important notes from the slide:
>        * Default plugin <mail_fetch>, emulates POP3 fetcher with fsockopen()
>          PHP functions, Post Authentication only
>            - No verification on IP / PORTS
>        * You can transform SquirrelMail as a kind of Nmap scanner
>
>        This has been assigned TEHTRI-SA-2010-009 by the discoverer.
>
>        The danger is that this attack could be used to bypass a firewall.
>
> Let's use CVE-2010-1637 for Squirrelmail.

Sorry for the delay.  A fix for this issue is now available in the
SquirrelMail source repository.  A new stable version (1.4.21) with
this fix will be released in the next week or two.  Links to the
patches if you need them now are:

Development version (1.5.2):
http://squirrelmail.svn.sourceforge.net/squirrelmail/?rev=13950&view=rev
Stable version (1.4.21):