Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:26:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Josh Bressers <bressers@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: security-2010@...irrelmail.org, security@...de.org, coley@...re.org
Subject: Re: CVE Request for Horde and Squirrelmail

----- "Max Olsterd" <max.olsterd@...il.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a CVE number available for the two 0-days exposed during Hack In
> The Box Dubai 2010 ?
>
> Though the exploits were not given during HITB (?), some friends have
> recently shown me that they found how both products (Squirrelmail and
> Horde) might be abused to be transformed, so that they become some kind
> of nmap scanner (banner grab, port scan, etc). It helps at discovering a
> remote DMZ, internal LAN, etc, by using those webmails as evil internal
> nmap proxies.
>
> More info available on the slides of the corporate hackers who found the
> 0-days :
> http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/materials/D1%20-%20Laurent%20Oudot%20-%20Improving%20the%20Stealthiness%20of%20Web%20Hacking.pdf
> -> Squirrelmail: page 69 (post auth vuln)
> -> Horde: page 74 (pre auth vuln)

Here goes, there isn't a lot of data on these.

For Squirrelmail:

Here are some important notes from the slide:
        * Default plugin <mail_fetch>, emulates POP3 fetcher with fsockopen()
          PHP functions, Post Authentication only
            - No verification on IP / PORTS
        * You can transform SquirrelMail as a kind of Nmap scanner

        This has been assigned TEHTRI-SA-2010-009 by the discoverer.

        The danger is that this attack could be used to bypass a firewall.

Let's use CVE-2010-1637 for Squirrelmail.

For Horde:

        * You can transform a default Horde installation to a kind of
          advanced network TCP scanner with banner grabbing, etc

        Pre-auth

        TEHTRI-SA-2010-010

Let's use CVE-2010-1638 for Horde

If anyone has more links or information for these, please pass them along.
Thanks.

--
    JB