Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 00:14:14 -0500
From: "Marcus I. Ryan" <marcus@...de.org>
To: Max Olsterd <max.olsterd@...il.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, security-2010@...irrelmail.org,
 security@...de.org
Subject: Re: [core] CVE Request for Horde and Squirrelmail

I'm inactive on the project, so hopefully I'm not speaking out of turn
(I'm assuming another horde member will give a more official response
and/or provide corrections as necessary), but I don't recall a CVE
being issued.  We were only notified just before the presentation
which I have to say didn't impress me personally, as it violates
fairly well established best-practices for reporting security issues.

That said, we don't really consider it a bug.  If the administrator
reads and follows that documentation, their systems are not exposed.
Part of the problem on our end is that the tool being abused needs to
be turned on by default to help configure new sites, but many
administrators also want to leave these tools enabled after the site
is running and simply lock them down through other means (web server
configs, application-level firewalls, etc.).  However, most of those
means are beyond the ability of Horde to detect, so we can't
distinguish between admins who don't read the documentation and admins
that choose other ways of protecting themselves.

We're considering possible features we might add in future versions
that would help make sure things are as secure as possible without
reducing the flexibility we strive for.  As with any software that
exposes your system(s) to the public, the best protection is to read,
understand, and follow the documentation (docs/INSTALL and
docs/SECURITY to be specific here).

As Norm Abram says, "Be sure to read, follow, and understand all of
the safety rules that come with your power tools.  Knowing how to use
your tools safely greatly reduces the risk of personal injury."  Good
advice for woodworkers and IT administrators.

If you have any more concerns, please let us know.

--
Marcus I. Ryan, marcus@...de.org