Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:24:28 -0500
From: Mark Hatle <mark.hatle@...driver.com>
To: Eugene Teo <eugene@...hat.com>
CC: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, "Zhu, Hui" <hui.zhu@...driver.com>,
        "Gortmaker, Paul" <paul.gortmaker@...driver.com>,
        +security-linux <security-linux@...driver.com>,
        "Wessel, Jason" <jason.wessel@...driver.com>,
        "Wu, Fei" <fei.wu@...driver.com>
Subject: Re: [security-linux] Re: CVE request - Linux Kernel
 KGDB/ppc issue

Eugene Teo wrote:
> On 04/29/2010 10:13 AM, Hui Zhu wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> The problem is that if KGDB is enabled on a powerpc board, a
>> test that checks if a page is user or kernel is bypassed.
>> This means that a user can write to arbitrary kernel address space.
>>
>> Upon further investigation, we found that kernels older than
>> the v2.6.30-rc1 release have the same problem for non-booke
>> ppc chips (74xx, 8641D), so we need two patches for kernels
>> up to that date, and then one patch for ones after that date.

I'm sorry. This was a mistake on our part. We had intended to send the
information to vendor-sec and coordinate with other potentially affected
vendors. Then once a reasonable coordinated time had passed to send it to
security@...nel.org as well as oss-security and lkml.

Our standard procedure:

* contact vendor-sec and coordinate with other affected vendors
* send the information to the project specific security list
* once public send the information to:
    * oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
    * other appropriate public project list(s)

Mark Hatle
Linux Security Incident Lead
Wind River Systems