Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 01:03:19 +0000
From: Tim Brown <tmb@...35.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re:  Re: Some small KDE issues

On Wednesday 16 December 2009 10:53:08 Tomas Hoger wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:54:57 -0600 Raphael Geissert
>
> <geissert@...ian.org> wrote:
> > > Our KDE maintainer alerted us to this:
> > > http://www.ocert.org/advisories/ocert-2009-015.html
> > > http://www.kde.org/info/security/advisory-20091027-1.txt
> >
> > According to 0910291553490.22070@....redhat.com, ids were already
> > requested.
> >
> > Maybe somebody needs to be prodded?
>
> I'd rather say it needs someone to do the work and clearly state what
> should get a CVE and why.  Advisory text does not really map well to
> the list of patches.

I think part of the underlying problem is that we're talking about blended
threats (in the case of Ark and KMail).  I took an agressive view regarding
the issues as I originally discussed them when I dealt with them but for many
reasons we reached a stale mate.  We ended up releasing things as they were
to get them into the domain where they could better be discussed and
discussed.  Retrospectively, I would go with CVEs for the the following:

* Ark Uses KHTML For Rendering Unknown File Types
* KMail Allows Attachment Spoofing
* Javascript Enabled On KHTML Based Views By Default
* KJS/KIO Slaves Enforcing Broken Same Origin Policy

Note that KDE's fix for the latter has caused some complaints, something that
I suspect they were mindful of when we discussed the issues:

* http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=83649

On top of this we have a raft of IO slave related vulnerabilities (which KDE,
oCERT and Portcullis agreed about) .  I'm not sure what the status of each of
these is, as Thomas alluded to they were fixed at various times (I'm not even
100% sure they're all fixed now).  I would create another CVE for these.

Finally, there is the issue with KWallet which KDE never addressed.  The
closest I got to an answer regarding this was that users complained too much
even now about the matching, so adding additional restrictions were
unwelcome.

Tim
--
Tim Brown