Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:06:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Josh Bressers <bressers@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: CVE request: oping allows the disclosure of
  arbitrary file contents

----- "Julien Tinnes" <julien.tinnes@...il.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Josh Bressers <bressers@...hat.com> wrote:
> > ----- "Julien Tinnes" <jt@....org> wrote:
> >>
> >> in case anyone cares, oping also attempts to drop privileges with
> >> setuid(getuid()); without checking setuid()'s return value.
> >>

> > Does that have any security implications though? I've not looked at the
> > app.  If it's a security problem, I'll give it a CVE id.
>
> I didn't really look either. Because of this, everything will run as root
> while it shouldn't, but an attacker might need a second bug to elevate
> privileges.  I would still consider it a security problem.

I took a look in the oping source. Without another security flaw, this is just
a bug, oping doesn't do anything while still root that could be an issue. I
agree that it should be fixed, it is a serious bug, but an attacker cannot do
anything nefarious with this flaw.

I'm happy to let Steve overrule me if he wishes, but I'm not going to assign
this a CVE id.

--
    JB