Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:36:32 +0200
From: Tomas Hoger <thoger@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: coley@...us.mitre.org
Subject: Re: CVE for recent cyrus-imap issue

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 21:31:52 -0400 (EDT) "Steven M. Christey"
<coley@...us.mitre.org> wrote:

> CVE-2009-3235 is the new one; CVE-2009-2632 has been updated to list
> Dovecot.

Thank you!

> Name: CVE-2009-3235
>
> Multiple stack-based buffer overflows in the Sieve plugin in Dovecot
> 1.0 before 1.0.4 and 1.1 before 1.1.7, as derived from Cyrus libsieve,
> allow context-dependent attackers to cause a denial of service (crash)
> and possibly execute arbitrary code via a crafted SIEVE script, as
> demonstrated by forwarding an e-mail message to a large number of
> recipients, a different vulnerability than CVE-2009-2632.

These flaws are not specific to Dovecot and exist in cyrus-imapd too.
Upstream already applied Dovecot fixes in their CVS:

https://bugzilla.andrew.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/sieve/sieve.y.diff?r1=1.40;r2=1.41;f=h
https://bugzilla.andrew.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/sieve/bc_eval.c.diff?r1=1.14;r2=1.15;f=h
https://bugzilla.andrew.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/sieve/script.c.diff?r1=1.68;r2=1.69;f=h

Sorry if my mail was confusing at that point.

--
Tomas Hoger / Red Hat Security Response Team