Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 16:33:41 +0200
From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@...too.org>
To: coley@...us.mitre.org
Cc: "CERT-FI Vulnerability Coordination" <vulncoord@...ora.fi>,
 oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: expat bug 1990430

Sorry for being late in this discussion, I was absent for two weeks.

On Thursday 27 August 2009, CERT-FI Vulnerability Coordination wrote:
> There probably is not a CVE for
> the expat crash (which affected Python expat too) yet. As the
> original issue was not handled by us and it was found already back in
> 2008, we did not allocate a CVE for the Python expat issue. So we
> probably need a CVE for the expat crash. I assume we could use this
> CVE for the Python expat crash too since the root cause is the same.

Hello Steven,

are you going to assign a new identifier for expat updatePosition crash?
It seems to me the outcome of this discussion is that the issues
discovered in 2009 by the Codenomicon XML fuzzing and in 2008 by Peter
Valchev are identical, and that the CVE-2009-2625 wording is limited to
the infinite loop in a Java codebase. As a supporting factor,
CVE-2009-2625 is used by many to identify only the Java issues
(with Mandriva being an exception).

Robert

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)