Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:51:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
cc: Steffen_Ullrich@...ua.de, "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: CVE request: perl-IO-Socket-SSL certificate
 hostname compare bug

Steffen said:

>it would probably be nice to add a note to the CVE that apps/modules
>should start to implement proper certificate checking and that it got
>easier with newer IO::Socket::SSL versions.

There isn't really a place in CVE to do this.  The description is
primarily to describe the problem in a way that allows us to distinguish
this issue from other issues.  I've included your post as a reference,
however.

- Steve

Name: CVE-2009-3024
Reference: MLIST:[oss-security] 20090828 CVE request: perl-IO-Socket-SSL certificate hostname compare bug
Reference: URL:http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2009/08/28/1
Reference: MLIST:[oss-security] 20090829 Re: CVE request: perl-IO-Socket-SSL certificate hostname compare bug
Reference: URL:http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2009/08/29/1
Reference: MLIST:[oss-security] 20090831 Re: Re: CVE request: perl-IO-Socket-SSL certificate hostname compare bug
Reference: URL:http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2009/08/31/4
Reference: CONFIRM:http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/SULLR/IO-Socket-SSL-1.30/Changes

The verify_hostname_of_cert function in the certificate checking
feature in IO-Socket-SSL (IO::Socket::SSL) 1.14 through 1.25 only
matches the prefix of a hostname when no wildcard is used, which
allows remote attackers to bypass the hostname check for a
certificate.