Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 00:04:36 +0200
From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@...too.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Vincent Danen <vdanen@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: debian bug report on bind9 DoS

On Tuesday 28 July 2009, Vincent Danen wrote:
> I don't think
> it's a huge problem with a well-secured bind9 configuration, but
> could be quite problematic for bind config's that allow updates
> without an RNDC key (typical of some dynamic DNS implementations), or
> on a system that has lax enough permissions that the RNDC key is
> exposed.

The crash is not limited to configurations that allow updates.
The ISC advisory states so as well, and I could reproduce the DoS on a
static named instance by removing the "$packet->sign_tsig(...)" line in
the exploit.
So the scope of this issue is wider than apparent from the original
report.

Robert

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)