Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 07:32:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
cc: aboudreault@...gears.com, coley@...re.org, 523027@...s.debian.org,
        warmerdam@...ox.com
Subject: Re: incorrect upstream fix for CVE-2009-0840 (mapserver)

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Nico Golde wrote:

> I'm not sure if this should get a new CVE id but the versions in the CVE id
> description should be adjusted and the upstream patch revised.

This looks like even though there was a source code modification, the
previous issue was not fixed at all.  That is, any attack that would have
worked before the fix, will still work after the fix.

However, Fedora FEDORA-2009-3383 at least claims a fix for CVE-2009-0840,
so a new CVE is probably in order to "signal" to admins that they have
another issue to handle.

Use CVE-2009-2281 for the "new" issue.  What versions are affected by
this?

- Steve