Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:04:20 +0100 (BST)
From: Mark J Cox <mjc@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request? buffer overflow in CIFS in 2.6.*

> Any and all thoughts are welcome.  I've thought that a big win for CVE was
> as a "universal bug ID" for the Linux community, which was outside what we
> had originally envisioned for it.  But these kinds of dynamic,
> low-information disclosures really stress the CVE process, so I'm starting
> to question whether CVE is really a good fit.

I believe that this is a by-product of vendors moving to use the public
oss-security list for triaging issues.

Before oss-security, vendors like Red Hat would discuss vulnerabilies both
public and private on the private vendor-sec list.  At the end of the
discussion and peer review we'd reach some conclusion about if the issue
was actually a security issue, and one of the Candidate Naming Authorities
would allocate CVE names accordingly.

So usually CVE names would only get allocated for things that at least one
of the vendors was going to fix, and therefore the CVEs had a high level
of confidence, and lots of metadata.

For example if Red Hat fix an issue in any of our products we've got a
public bug with the CVE name as alias which contains the details, link to
first public mention, and a link to the fix or the fix itself (either the
upstream one or a backported one). For issues where it was likely that
Mitre would allocate a name by themselves (say a new version of PHP got
released with security issues mentioned in the announcement) we'd ping
Steve directly for a name to try to avoid duplicates (and in these cases
Steve and his team would need to do more work).

However, for issues already public, using a closed list was not optimal,
and so to aid peer review outside of the vendor security teams and for
transparancy we started using oss-security.

But what happens now is that all the triage work that was previously
hidden is now public.  So while on vendor-sec we might have used a CVE
name for tracking an issue through triage and later rejected it with no
public mentions, now it's public in the interim.

In the case of the Linux kernel bug Eugene was working on, that triage
also includes the CVE Content Decisions to map vulnerabilities to CVE
names where there were multiple similar vulnerabilities or multiple
affected products at the same time.  If this were vendor-sec, one of the
CNA experts would have stepped in at that point.

I don't think intermediate ids would help, and we're years past having a
lower-confidence CVE 'candidate' (CAN).

So perhaps the solution is to have the vendor CNAs play more of a role on
the oss-security list in allocating and helping with content decisions
rather than having to have Mitre monitor the list.  Then, each time a CNA
gives out a CVE on oss-security they could have some requirement of a
mimimum set of information about the allocation they have to provide in
the same mail.  By having the CNA buffer we'd only have to involve Steve
or Mitre when something is complex.  However, that would mean Mitre would
have to check oss-security list before allocating any CVE names for
oss-issues and accept there may be more duplicate allocations.

Thanks, Mark
--
Mark J Cox / Director, Red Hat Security Response